Re: Radioactive material on CV990 ?

Date:         03 Nov 97 19:20:03
From:         john@pegase.demon.co.uk (John Wright)

On 03 Nov 97 02:18:54 , in <airliners.1997.2552@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
Robin Johnson wrote:
>>I heard that the rudders of the Convair 990 had counterweights made out
>>of uranium.
>
>I seem to remember that in the recip days some aircraft had special
>storage for radioactive cargo, out on the wingtips.  This would have
>been small quantities of radioisotopes (short half-life) for hospitals
>and research establishments.

I have a picture in an old (c. 1948) book about UKAEA Harwell which
shows an SAA DC-4 with a man wearing a long raincoat (on a rainy day)
standing on steps placing a canister of isotopes in a wingtip holder
using long handled grippers. As they say in radiation protection
practice, there are three methods of keeping your dose down, time
distance and shielding. Minimise the first and maximise the last two...

--
John Wright