Re: Strange buzzing sound on DC-9

Date:         03 Nov 97 02:18:55
From:         Normand Perron <nperron@videotron.ca>

jf mezei wrote:
> I started to hear a buzz above/behind me and thought it was an
> ultra-light plane  coming behind me.  Obviously I had misjudged its
> distance
> because it didn't overtake me. Then, some folks on the sidewalk stopped
> walking and looked up. I stopped cycling and looked up.
>
> Well, I had definitely misjudged the flying object. It was in fact
> (most probably) a DC-9 on approach to YUL. (Easterly winds means that
> planes made direct approaches from the west instead of the most usual
> "go to east end of Montreal, u-turn and land at Dorval").

Bombardier has one of their major plants in Dorval. When I told a friend
of hearing a strange noise coming from a landing Challenger, he told me
that it was probably the ram-air turbine being tested during the
production test flight. The RAT is a propeller-driven generator which is
extended into the airstream on the side of the nose in case of a double
generator failure.

In hudson, any aircraft landing in Dorval would still be quite high
above ground; a Challenger (or RJ) could be mistaken for a DC-9 when
there is no possibility to judge the size of the a/c.

Normand