Re: Radioactive material on CV990 ?

Date:         03 Nov 97 02:18:53
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1997.2483@ohare.Chicago.COM>, westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) wrote:
>Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com> writes:
>> - Are there other examples where radioactive materials are employed in
>> civil a/c ?
>
>The latest issue of Air and Space magazine shows a photo of an XP-84
>instrument panel on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It
>specifically mentions the radium used in the luminescent instrument
>dials. I suspect that old airliners have similar dials.

On CURRENT PRODUCTION aircraft, there are STILL radio-luminescent exit
signs.

Presumably so that they will be visible during a night crash, without
needing time exposed to light to "charge up" the typical phosphorescent-
type glow-in-the-dark paints.

Don't know whether they use radium or another element (such as H3
(Tritium), which is more commonly used in radio-luminescent paints today).
However, the aircraft maintenance manuals had specific disposal procedures
to be used when they were no longer serviceable or needed to be replaced,
which accounted for the radioisotopes.

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.