Re: B 767-300 Exit configuration

Date:         01 Nov 97 18:55:54
From:         Antoin Daltun <adaltun@tinet.ie>

At 02:03 08/09/97, Chris Elberfeld wrote:
>As many readers of this NG might know, Boeing offers several
>exit layouts on the 767-300. AA and UA's -300's have the same exit
>configuration as the -200 with an additional overwing hatch.
>Several European carriers have chosen to have another full size cabin
>door in front of the wing, I think with this option there is either
>one overwing hatch on each side _or_ a smaller floor-level exit just
>behind the wing (a la most B757's). BA's -300's are of this type.
>
>It would seem that the additional main door offers better evacuation
>potential than just another overwing hatch (at least for the
>high yield passengers in the front :-) ) This layout also enables
>faster loading/unloading at dual jetway gates.
>Are the aircraft with the extra door certificated for more passengers
>than those with two overwing hatches?

There are some ironies to this.

The extra doors allow the aircraft to be certified to carry extra
passengers, but the doors take up more space and with the same "rule" for
seating layout, the number of seats which can be fitted by a scheduled
airline is generally less when extra doors are fitted!

On some types, a charter airline's seating rule/spec will allow so many
passengers to be carried that the doors become worthwhile as the aircraft
will not otherwise be certificated by the FAA, CAA, etc, to carry all of
them.  This is particularly the case with the B767 where scheduled airlines
may operate three-class with seven-abreast in economy, while some charter
airlines have less galley, tighter seat pitch and eight abreast seating
throughout.

Brgds

Antoin Daltun