Re: 2707 customers

Date:         01 Nov 97 18:55:54
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.2447@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Bryan Shrode
<nospambshrode@home.net> wrote:

> Can anyone here aid me in finding out who the launch customer and which
> airlines ordered the ill fated Boeing SST(Super-Sonic-Transport)
> 2707-100 before the project was canceled?

I suspect that Pan Am was a major factor in getting the Boeing SST program
rolling.  After all, Juan Tripp's vision was that the 747 would be Pan
Am's interim long-range passenger plane until the SSTs came on line, at
which point the 747s would be converted to freighters.  This is why the
747 was designed with the upper deck; to facilitate cargo loading through
the nose and to carry a full load on the main deck. (The 747s design bears
no resemblance to Boeing's C-5A design, by the way, which was a high-wing,
four-engine, no-hump airplane.)

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane