Re: Phase III Engine

Date:         01 Nov 97 18:55:51
From:         Seth Dillon <bdillon1@mindspring.com>

Exiled Expat wrote:

> joan wrote:
> >
> > What is the difference between phase II and phase III engine?
> > Any answer will be highly appretiated.
>
> Phase three engines are designed to be quieter than phase 1 and 2
> thereby allowing it into airports that have restrictions against noisy
> aircrafts.  All of the new engines are built to this requirements and
> some of the older versions have been modified to suit.

You are thinking of "stage II and stage III" noise requirements.  The
original poster was refering to phase III which is a modification of
PW4000 engines and nacels for better fuel efficiency and increased
range.  I believe it involves the fan case struts, exit guide vanes,
thrust reverser halves as well as some changes internally to the engine.

-Seth