Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         03 Jan 97 04:36:33
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1996.3039@ohare.Chicago.COM> Niels Sampath (niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> In article <airliners.1996.3012@ohare.Chicago.COM>
>            Chuanga@cris.com "H Andrew Chuang" writes:
>
> -snip-
> >Personally, I don't think Airbus should
> >stick with the A300/310/330/340 fuselage cross-section for the A340-600X
> >(or any long-range aircraft).  Do remember, the original A300 was a
> >short-haul aircraft!  Cabin comfort requirement for a short-haul flight
> >is quite different from a long-haul flight.
>
> I am not sure what you are suggesting. I assume a wider cross-section?
> A wider cabin but still twin-aisle config., only means more poor saps
> stuck `in the middle of the middle'.... an absolute nightmare for those
> concerned.  Airbus already markets their `fewer centre seats' as
> an `advantage' over the 777.

I do agree that nine abrest and ten abreast are less ideal than eight
abreast when the flight is *full*.  Airlines do hope every flight is
full, but most airlines can realistically fill their planes 60-70% full,
annually.  Thus, for most flights, the dreadful middle seat of the 2-5-2
configuration is not an issue.  According to Boeing, the standard economy
seat on the B747 and B777 is 1.5 inches wider than than the standard
economy seat on the A300/310/330/340.  Nevertheless, comfort is a very
subjective thing.  Also, some people will believe what they are told to
believe.