Re: 767 Tail-Bang on lift-off

Date:         21 Jan 97 01:32:25
From:         Seth Dillon <sdillon@ilinks.net>

Mike Hall wrote:
> Last Sunday we took AA136 (supposedly) LAX-LHR; the 'plane was a 767-300.
> When the pilot rotated the tail of the plane hit the runway; result was 2
> hours going in circles dumping fuel and an (eventual) re-route via JFK as
> the crew had exceeded their hours - 19 hours in total....

Most of the longer aircraft have some type of tail skid installed to prtect
the aft fuselage from receiving too much damage.  The one glaring exception
to this that I know of is the 757-200.  I have seen several 757s with
extensive damage to the lower aft fuselage due to over rotation.  The
worst had the skin worn completely through to the stringers (longerons),
stringers and frames deformed and the aft P-dome was buckeled.  I also
worked a L1011-1 (which has a tail skid) which suffered considerable
damage.  The tail skid was shoved into the after body, the p-dome was
buckled and the apu & apu compartment doors were damaged.  This incident
happened on landing, however.  The 737-200 has no tail skid and I was told
that the aft end of the thrust reversers will contact the ground in a high
sink rate high nose up attitude landing.  It is a believed that this
situation may also damage the aft mount cone bolt and lead to an engine
seperation at a later date if undetected ( the original aft mount on
737-200s was pretty shakey).  An AD addressed this problem with a
redesigned aft mount and the addition of a fail safe cable arrangement.

				-Seth