Re: 777 Engine Startup

Date:         16 Oct 97 11:59:51
From:         alan@gate.net (Alan Andersen)

On 16 Oct 97 00:44:10 , David Asher <dasher@gonzaga.edu> wrote:
>Does the Boeing 777 have a Autostart capability (a single switch that will
>perform all of the functions related to engine start)? I had read
>somewhere that one of the airlines involved with the design had requested
>this feature.

Yes, the 777 does have an autostart system, but not a single switch.
All the crew has to do is have the Autostart switch ON,  the Fuel
Switch to RUN and the Start/ignition Switch to START.  Then sit back
and watch the show.  The EEC controls the start sequence.  It turns on
the fuel and ignition at about 20%, monitors engine perameters and
disengages the starter at about 50%.  It will abort the start if a
fault occurs and then attempt a restart.