Re: Radioactive material on CV990 ?

Date:         16 Oct 97 11:59:50
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

>I don't know about the 990, but I've heard that the 747-100 has some
>uranium in the outer wings to dampen flutter that was identified in
>flight testing.  This may just be an unsubstantiated rumor, though.

Clive Irving (Wide Body: The Making of the Boeing 747) says there was (and
still is) depleted uranium in the outboard engine pylons of early 747s
to provide extra damping of oscillations in the aeroelastic wing.  The
oscillations were tailored out of the wing on later 747s -- presumably
more for performance reasons than risks due to radioactivity.  (The
uranium is *not* paying for its ride!)

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting