Service Ceiling (was Re: Passenger cabin pressurization)

Date:         16 Oct 97 00:44:13
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)
Followups:    1 2 3 4

In article <airliners.1997.2427@ohare.Chicago.COM>, luisma@spainmail.com wrote:

>1) The cabin equivalent altitude should not be greater than 8000 ft (this
>condition, together with the structural condition stated above, imposes
>a limit to the aircraft flight level, limit which is known as SERVICE
>CEILING).

To nitpick (this being usenet and all), the Service Ceiling is defined as the
altitude at which the airline can no longer climb at 500 fpm.  Absolute
Ceiling is defined as the altitude at which the aircraft can no longer climb
at all.

(Unfortunately, I can't find a written reference at this at the moment, but I
am certain that the Service Ceiling is not defined in terms of cabin pressure,
as many unpressurized aircraft have service ceilings in excess of 12,500 ft.)

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.