Re: 777 rejected takeoff test

Date:         16 Oct 97 00:44:12
From:         wenkes@mindspring.com (SHW)

wb8foz@netcom.com (David Lesher) wrote:
>I watched the PBS series on the 777. Of special interest was the
>full-load rejected takeoff test. I missed the figures for the
>weight [and ISTM they were for load, vice emptyweight+load]
>but they said it was 9.7 million ft-lbs of hot brakes.

I also saw the special and had a question, not about the units but the
order of magnitude.  The 707 has a limiting brake energy of 40 Million
foot-lbs per brake.  What doesn't make sense here is that the Trip-7
is roughly twice the weight of the 70.  With modern carbon-fiber brake
rotors and an extra set of wheels per truck how could the failure
limit on the 777 be so low ?