Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         21 Jan 97 01:32:24
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell) wrote:

> It would be nice if it were true that people would avoid uncomfortable
> airplanes, but it just isn't.  I asked a travel agent how often
> someone specified the type of plane when making travel plans (or even
> asking before they purchased tickets)... she said "maybe one person
> per *year*".

Industry surveys taken on board or immediately after de-planing show that
the vast majority of passengers have no idea of what kind of plane they're
riding on, who made it, or how many engines it has.  Nor do they care.
Primary concerns are ticket cost and schedule convenience.  Of the very
few people who are aware of the type of plane they're on, most of them are
in business or first class, which makes sense, as these travellers are
generally a little more picky about their air travel experience.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane