Re: Trent 800 woes

Date:         07 Oct 97 14:10:18
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Followups:    1 2 3

Malcolm Weir <malc@mci2000.com> wrote:

[snip]

>The point was, while all in-flight shutdowns are serious, possibly the most
>serious type of event involves fan blade failures...  It's bad enough to
>lose an engine without bits of the engine whizzing around the rest of the
>airframe (c.f. Sioux City...)

Malcolm, I think you know that the Sioux City accident was not due to
a fan-blade failure.  It was due to a rotor-disk failure.  All engines
do have to go through a fan-blade-failure test just like they have to
go through birdstrike tests (but not a rotor-disk-failure test).  In
most cases, a fan-blade failure should not cause a catastrophic failure
of the engine.