Re: 747-400 Initial Cruise

Date:         06 Oct 97 02:14:25
From:         Jan-Olov Newborg <newborg@algonet.se>

Andrew Cruickshank wrote:
> A few years ago a flew BA from KUL to LHR and the pilot's
> commentary over the PA stated cruise would be at 26,000 ft.
> I though this a bit low and stowed it away for future
> reference.
>
> Last week I did LHR to KUL with MAS and the pilot said
> we would be at 29,000 ft initially until we were lighter.
>
> This raises the question - is the cruise level of a 747-400
> with full load of passengers and cargo limited until fuel
> burn off occurs.

Many aircraft has initial climb restrictions due to weight. Ask Spanair
who stalled an MD80 some years ago over Gotenburg,Sweden,falling thrugh
10 flightlevel. They ignored the performance tabells and climbed higher
than the wings could carry them.

Boeing 747-400 has much better performance than the -100-300 models.

Boeing 767 flying from Bangkok to Europe, many the times get final level
270 inbound New Dehli, a common level for Beach 200, all because B767
cruises to slow compared to B747-400 and MD11 and traffic control keeps
767 down at low alt. After India over Afganistan and Russia higher level
is given to the slow B767.

Jan-Olov Newborg

Sweden