Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         06 Oct 97 02:14:24
From:         "elysium" <elysium@iafrica.com>

jf mezei <"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca> wrote in article <airliners.1997.2381@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> Question: can the pilots easily disable the automatic deployment of
> airbags
> or is this truly "hardcoded" into the cabin ?

A "Rubber Jungle" can be over-ridden on most commercial
aircraft, utilising gaseous oxygen systems, by selecting manual
control on the Pax bottle regulator, however you raise an
interesting point, as I don't know if this is possible on
aircraft with chemical oxy generating units.

A barometric switch deploys the masks at a cabin
altitude of 15000 ft on many airliners, but the switch can
be disarmed by the crew in many installations. Certainly
Douglas, not sure about Boeings.

--
>From : elysium@iafrica.com
" Slow to erect, quick to topple -- A maverick gimbal ".