Re: Trent 800 woes

Date:         06 Oct 97 02:14:22
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 03 Oct 97 01:18:30 , Exiled Expat <lutsch@emirates.net.ae> caused to
appear as if it was written:

>Malcolm Weir wrote:
>> So perhaps Delta's selection of RR is as good as P&W?  Particularly since
>> the Trent's problems seem to be self-identifying (i.e. oil temperature
>> climbs through the roof), while some of the PW4000 problems involved
>> modifications to the leading edges of the fans due to cracking after
>> foreign object impacts...

>As far as oil temps going through the roof, I know of no such failure in
>our fleet of 14 operating engines.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: That was a reference to the A330
Dragonair failure of a Trent 700, blamed on faulty lubrication systems which
resulted in insufficient oil getting where it should be, hence the
temperature rise.

The point was, while all in-flight shutdowns are serious, possibly the most
serious type of event involves fan blade failures...  It's bad enough to
lose an engine without bits of the engine whizzing around the rest of the
airframe (c.f. Sioux City...)

Malc.