Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         06 Oct 97 02:14:21
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

>I've heard that Lockheed developed alpha cyanoacrylate (ACC) adhesives,
>more commonly known as Krazy Glue, for the project.  I find that a bit
>surprising since the version you can buy at the grocery store tends to
>cure into a hard and britle form, but perhaps in higher quality form
>or with different curing (the book referenced above mentions using an
>autoclave) it behaves differently.

It's possible, but I'd note that cyanoacrylate does give a very good
metal-metal bond, as long as the surfaces are clean.  From memory it works
by polymerising in the presence of the usual surface water.  I'm not sure
what the effect of heating is apart from maybe incinerating any surface
impurities.  It should be ok when the forces are mainly tensile across
the bond, eg pressurised skin trying to pull away from fuselage members.

I thought Eastman developed cyanoacrylate.

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting