Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         06 Oct 97 02:14:21
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

Ed Mellinger wrote:
> This raised my eyebrows when I read about it ten years ago, and raised
> 'em again today.  I was suprised that glue would be considered
> acceptable for carrying a primary structural load, particularly in that
> era (nowadays, I know, we have composite airplanes that are nothing but
> glue and yarn).  Does anyone know of other aircraft, or primary
> structure on them, that rely on "bonding" (c'mon, guys... it's glue!)
> to carry loads between two metal components?

Grumman light aircraft such as the Tiger (and perhaps the Gulfstreams)
use bonded fuselage construction; so do Grumman canoes.  Also, one
single-engine Beechcraft (IIRC the Skipper) uses a tubular spar,
constucted by rolling an aluminum sheet into a tube and bonding the
layers as it is rolled up.  (Look at a paper towel core and you will get
the idea).

Ken Ishiguro