Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         06 Oct 97 02:14:20
From:         J&J@nospam.demon.co.uk (John Wright)

On 03 Oct 97 01:18:33 , in <airliners.1997.2396@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Karl
Swartz wrote:
>Yes, the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar.  "According to James B. Beach, Chief
>Engineer, L-1011 Production Design -- 'The extensive use of structural
>adhesive bonding of doublers, triplers and lapped skin panels into
>large panel assemblies (up to 15 feet by 38 feet) is an important new
>development offering improved fatigue life, corrosion resistance and
>durability."  (Douglas J. Ingells, "L-1011 TriStar and The Lockheed
>Story," pp. 196-200, Aero Publishers, 1973.)
>
>I've heard that Lockheed developed alpha cyanoacrylate (ACC) adhesives,
>more commonly known as Krazy Glue, for the project.

Lockheed may have done a lot of work on these adhesives, but I remember
in 1969-1971 when I worked for Philips (the Dutch electronics group) we
were trialling these adhesives (from the Loctite company) for bonding
metal trimmers to ferrite ceramic c/-core transformers, looking at the
failure modes of different grades in shear and tension with a view to
using them on production items, these were both room temperature cured
and autoclaved. This would be coincident with L-1011 development I would
guess.

>... I find that a bit
>surprising since the version you can buy at the grocery store tends to
>cure into a hard and britle form, but perhaps in higher quality form
>or with different curing (the book referenced above mentions using an
>autoclave) it behaves differently.

There are many grades - the stuff I use at work (Perma Bond C2) is an
industrial grade which is *far* superior to the stuff you can buy in the
shops, which I suspect use a cellulose material or something to as a
thinner, possibly to make it safer to use in that it won't stick quite
so hard quite so fast!

--
John Wright