Re: COST ESTIMATION RELATIONSHIP

Date:         03 Oct 97 01:18:34
From:         D.P.Rhodes@lboro.ac.uk (Darren Rhodes)

On 16 Sep 97 02:37:12 , lich@inter.net.il (Shmuel Friedlich) wrote:

>I am in a middle of a cost estimation effort, mainly of avionics
>packages. I am looking for a relevant data that may answer the
>following questions:
>a) Is there such a concept as "the Cost of a 1Lb or 1 Liter of
>electronic package", and
>b) Can I receive some numbers in return?
>I know the data is dependent on the production volumes involved, the
>application (industrial or aerospace etc) and the technolgy used
>my Email is lich@inter.net.il
>Shmulick Friedlich

There is an excellent cost estimation procedure for civil and mililary
aircraft by J.W.Burns of the Vought Aircraft Company. In it he quotes
the avionics cost as $3950 per pound (weight) for 1983 dollars. He the
gives a CPI chart to show the cost for future year dollars. For 1994
the CPI factor is about 1.5.

The full reference is:

Burns, J. Wayne (1994). "Aircraft Cost Estimation Methodology and
Value Of A Pound Derivation For Preliminary Design Development
Applications", SAWE Paper No. 2229, 53rd Conference of Society of
Allied Weight Engineers, Long Beach CA, 23-25 May 1994.

Hope this helps.