Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         03 Oct 97 01:18:33
From:         Seth Dillon <bdillon1@mindspring.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> >Speaking of which, would a FBW Airbus (say an A320) have been able to
> >manage a "Gimli Glider" situation?   Do Airbuses have some sort of
> >battery back-up or air ram generator so that the computers driving
> >the control surfaces would be able to effectively work in a glide/no power
> >situation?
>
> The FBW Airbuses (probably the A300 and A310, too, though I'm not
> sure) have a ram air turbine (RAT) which can be deployed into the
> airflow to generate electrical power, same as the 767.  You also
> need hydraulic power, which is provided by having an electrically
> driven hydraulic pump on at least one of the systems.

Minor error in your post. A300, A310, B757, B767, B747, L1011 aircraft have
RAT's which directly drive a hydraulic pump, providing pressure to one
system.  The DC10 and MD11 use a slightly different approach, they have an
ADG or air driven generator, which provides AC power to aux hydralic pump #1.
Which pressurizes system 3.

I do not know how the systems are arranged on The 777 or later Airbus models.

-Seth