Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         03 Oct 97 01:18:33
From:         Ed Mellinger <meed@mbari.org>
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Karl Swartz wrote:
> In the original design, employed on the 727, 737, and 747, fuselage
> lap joints were "cold bonded" with epoxy-impregnated cloth, cured at
> room temperature, augmented by three rows of rivets countersunk in a
> fairly thin skin.  The bonding and not the rivets was intended to
> carry the primary pressurization loads.
>
> Unfortunately, this bonding process was found to have problems which
> in many cases resulted in a poor bond; poor bonds were susceptible to
> corrosion which further weakened the joint and caused transfer of the
> stresses to the rivets. <snip>

This raised my eyebrows when I read about it ten years ago, and raised
'em again today.  I was suprised that glue would be considered
acceptable for carrying a primary structural load, particularly in that
era (nowadays, I know, we have composite airplanes that are nothing but
glue and yarn).  Does anyone know of other aircraft, or primary
structure on them, that rely on "bonding" (c'mon, guys... it's glue!) to
carry loads between two metal components?

Ed Mellinger