Re: 2nd Officer on a 767

Date:         03 Oct 97 01:18:32
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> The nominal reason for this was that the union felt a third
> set of eyes was necessary for safety reasons.  After a time, all
> involved agreed this was a waste and the FEs were probably so bored
> they would have been too dazed to contribute much anyway.

Reminds me of the PSA 727 / Cessna (172?) midair at SAN in 1978.  The
aircraft were talking to different ATC facilities, who were not fully
coordinating traffic.  The Cessna was mistakenly vectored in front of
the 727.

There was the 3-man flight crew plus 2-3 off-duty flight crew members on
the flight deck. Five or six sets of eyes failed to see the Cessna on a
CAVU day.

Ken Ishiguro