Re: Rolling a very large aircraft

Date:         03 Oct 97 01:18:32
From:         "John Mackesy" <mack@melbpc.org.au>

Dwight Hall <dwihall@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1997.2383@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> Can anyone provide documented proof of an intentional and controlled
> barrel-roll in level flight of a 747, DC-10 or similarly large aircraft?

In "Sigh For A Merlin" (Alex Henshaw), in which the author describes his
wartime work as a factory test pilot testing Spitfires and Lancasters,
p155/Chapter 12 is titled "Rolling the Lanc". He did this quite regularly,
barrel roll a la Tex Johnston.  Even at this distance, the Lancaster still
qualifies as a large aircraft - try standing under one, if you ever get the
chance.

The book's a good read - I recommend it highly.

John Mackesy

mack@melbpc.org.au