Re: Cabin Depressurization

Date:         01 Oct 97 19:57:50
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

Ragamuffin <wdockery@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Also, wouldn't cabin depressurization be a way that could be used
>during a hijacking situation to render the hijackers unconcious?
>The flight-deck crew would be on oxygen masks and could therefore
>regain control.  Mind you the passengers would all become unconsious
>also, but I'd rather have that happen to me than to have the plane
>blow up or end up in some undesired location. -- just a thought...

Several reasons that I can think of:

- I don't think you can depressurise an aircraft quickly enough to
  overcome someone by surprise, short of smashing a window.

- The oxygen masks drop automatically.

- It takes a couple of minutes to lose conciousness from anoxia, plenty
  of time for the hijackers to realise what's going on, panic, and kill
  someone (or everyone).

- The risk of someone innocent dying as a result of anoxia on an already
  frail system would be too high.

--
Don Stokes, Network Consultant, Daedalus Consulting Services  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting