Re: Why are all airliners white? - Concorde temporary paintscheme

Date:         01 Oct 97 19:57:49
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I have seen a picture of a 'Pepsi' Concorde, painted all blue
>with the Pepsi logo on the tail (I think to promote the new colour
>scheme back in the 80's).

You're off by about a decade -- it was just last year.

>However I heard that they could not fly supersonic in this
>paintscheme as the plane would overheat ??

That was a common rumor but it doesn't appear to be based in fact --
I've seen reports that it did indeed fly at supersonic speeds while
wearing Pepsi Blue.  Perhaps not for very long though.

>It occurred to me that painting, then repainting (back to white)
>a Concorde must be an extremely expensive undertaking ? Is it possible
>they would use some 'washable' paint ? Presumably not water based
>in case of rain, but some mild solvent perhaps ????

It may be possible, but the Pepsi Concorde was a full repaint (and
then back to Air France colors).  The Pepsi paint required 2,000 man
hours and 300 liters of paint, and reportedly cost $300,000.  That
may sound like a lot, but it's probably less than wet-leasing and
operating costs for the ten day tour.  Furthermore, it was part of
a $500 million marketing and advertising campaign -- representing
less than 0.1% of the total cost of the campaign.  (For details, see
http://www.pepsico.com/web_pages/pcnews5.html.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com