Re: Is "Lights Out" FAA Reg?

Date:         01 Oct 97 19:57:48
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

Dave Benjamin wrote:

> >From observation, it would appear that the FAA (or A/C manufactures)
> require dimming of cabin lights for take-off and landing.  Is cabin
> light dimming a requirement?  And if it is, why?

I am not sure about regulatory requirements, but some possible reasons:

- Minimize electrical load on takeoff.
- Reduce chance of sparking / ignition in case of a takeoff or landing
accident
- Increase passenger visibility outside to help evacuate the aircraft.

BTW, I have also noticed that TW and UA ask passengers to leave their
window shades up for takeoff and landing.  Maybe more of the visibility
outside issue.

Ken Ishiguro