Re: 747 hump

Date:         28 Sep 97 20:59:08
From:         drela@mit.edu (Mark Drela)

In article <airliners.1997.2319@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Jeffrey S. Aronsky" <4penpals@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >Maybe a related question, why do 747's fly faster than other jets?  I've
> >heard they can make a 12 hour flight about an hour shorter, is this true?
>
> Fly FASTER?? Excuse me, but if you compare the Concorde with the 747,
> the trip will go much faster with the Concorde.

Agtabby was obviously referring to subsonic airliners.

The main reason why the 747 is the fastest (about Mach 0.86, I believe)
is because it has the most wing sweep.  The 777 has considerably less
sweep, but is almost as fast (Mach 0.845 or so) because it has considerably
better airfoils.

  Mark Drela                          First Law of Aviation:
  MIT Aero & Astro          "Takeoff is optional, landing is compulsory"