Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         28 Sep 97 20:59:08
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Speaking of which, would a FBW Airbus (say an A320) have been able to
>manage a "Gimli Glider" situation?   Do Airbuses have some sort of
>battery back-up or air ram generator so that the computers driving
>the control surfaces would be able to effectively work in a glide/no power
>situation?

The FBW Airbuses (probably the A300 and A310, too, though I'm not
sure) have a ram air turbine (RAT) which can be deployed into the
airflow to generate electrical power, same as the 767.  You also
need hydraulic power, which is provided by having an electrically
driven hydraulic pump on at least one of the systems.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com