Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         28 Sep 97 00:53:43
From:         Graham Glen <Graham@irving.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.2302@ohare.Chicago.COM>, GWilson404@aol.com
writes
>In article <airliners.1997.2280@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Marc Schaeffer
><marcmsc@geocities.com> writes:
>
>>After the crash of CF-CUN it was found out that a considerable part of
>>the wing lost it's lift if the plane was pulled up too fast. A design
>>change of the leading edge flaps of the Comet wings was the solution to
>>this problem. This change proved to be sufficient.
>
>To my knowledge Comet has never had leading edge devices. Certainly there are
>none on Comet IV or NIMROD.

That's correct. The profile of the leading edge was changed.

Getting back to the fatigue failures, could anybody confirm what I think
I read some years ago that as part of the redesign undertaken after the
failures the alloy used for the skin was changed to one with a higher
copper content, making it more malleable and less prone to cracking?

Graham
--
Graham Glen     graham@irving.demon.co.uk

".. and it always was possible to measure the distance between so-called
management and the so-called creative by the time it took for a memo to go
in one direction and a half-brick to come back in the other."
        Dennis Potter