Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         28 Sep 97 00:53:42
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

Bizfixer <bizfixer@aol.com> wrote:
>It was my understanding that after several Comet crashes, Boeing (on
>request of BAC) did an emersion test, cycling the fuselage through
>pressurizations, and found the fault at several (including windows) square
>joints.

The Comet testing was done by the Royal Aircraft Establishment, based at
Farnborough.  After the YY crash, Churchill basically gave Sir Arnold Hall,
head of the RAE, a blank cheque to find the problem and do whatever was
necessary to make the Comet safe.  I don't think Boeing had anything to do
with it.

--
Don Stokes, Network Consultant, Daedalus Consulting Services  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting