Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         25 Sep 97 01:39:44
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Steve Lacker  <look@the.sig> wrote:

>> I have another: Following an engine failure, is there any actual
>> requirement to land at that alternate airfield [180 or 60 or whatever
>> minutes away] or can you continue all the way to the destination on one
>> engine?
>
>I think it is a requirement. Logically it SHOULD be, especially for a
>twin. Think about it: one engine is inop so your safety margin is gone.
>You fly or glide depending on that last engine. Also, while its *most
>likely* just a problem with one engine, there is always the chance its
>not...

I would agree with you that logically it should be.  However, I don't
know how it is actually practiced.  In 1995, I posted an article in this
group on a related incidence:

   I just read about another inflight shutdown.  This time it is on an Air
   China Boeing 767 flying form Xiamen (off the Southern coast of China,
   approximately one hour north of Hong Kong) to Singapore.  One engine
   failed at 35,000 ft over the South China Sea and was shut down.  The
   pilot flew under the power of the other engine for over 170 minutes and
   safely landed at Singapore's Changi Airport.  (very close to the 180-minute
   ETOPS rating, but I don't know if Air China's B767 has the 180-minute ETOPS
   rating.)  IMHO, this is simply outrageous: Hong Kong, Guangzhou, or Hainan
   Island should be very close to where the aircraft first experienced the
   engine failure.  In the news article that I read, the pilot was praised
   for his "skillfulness".