Re: Power for Take-Off

Date:         17 Sep 97 02:49:23
From:         Iain Stuart <big-iain@big-iain.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.2163@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Keith Howie <khowie8@gte.net> writes
>Boeing once took a 757 to Lhasa, Tibet, to demonstrate just this
>capability. Lhasa is one of the highest airports in the world (maybe
>the highest. Does anybody know? La Paz?) and it is surrounded by
>mountains. The 757 was accelerated to V1, one engine was killed, and
>the takeoff was continued. The airplane circled and landed without
>incident.

There was also a similar exercise at a ex-military airfielf in eastern
China, and an altitude greater that Lhasa. (Some charter operator was
considering using it as an alternative route into the Himalayas.) Went
without a hitch. The Feild Rep told me that the frightening thing was
the number of crashed military aircraft at the end of the runway...one
that didn't cope with an engine out.    Both test aircraft were fitted
with RB211's, naturally. :-)

Iain Stuart