Re: Toilet sucks in child

Date:         15 Jan 97 04:23:56
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>Two questions arise from this :-
>
>1. How does an unaccompanied minor find herslf in such a position -
>especially in Business Class?

Can't answer this one.  Aren't kids toilet trained by the time they are nine?

>2. What was the reason to decrease altitude in order for the passenger
>to be freed from the toilet?? Are the toilets at a different pressure
>to that of the rest of the cabin?

On Boeing a/c (and I assume Airbus would be similar) vacuum toilets operate
on the differential pressure btwn the cabin and outside above 15,000 ft (or
thereabouts).  This means that a valve opens to ambient air and that
provides the motive force to suck the contents of the toilet bowl into the
waste tank.  Below that level a electrically operated blower is used.  I'm
not sure what the suction difference is, but I can tell you that it is MUCH
more noisy at altitude, suggesting to me that the vacuum is much greater
using diff pressure - especially at cruising altitude!

>From what I've read in the papers (not usually accurate), a valve failed to
close, or it opened uncommanded, whilst the girl was still seated.

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- If it's not Boeing, then I'm not going!