Re: Why are all airliners white?

Date:         17 Sep 97 02:49:21
From:         hedley@netcom.com (Hedley Rainnie)

Bill Chivers wrote:
> Recent research suggests that darker paint schemes are easier to see.
> Since the human eye spots things by shape and contrast, trying to
> contrast with a (usually) bright background (the sky) by having a bright
> paint scheme is pretty much a waste of time.

Last night 9/16/97 at SJC (San Jose Intl) over at the cargo loading end of
the airport (near where Fedex loads up its nightly DC10/MD11) was a second
DC10 but it had no markings at all, all grey body, black tail and a cargo door
open on the left, no windows. I did not get a good look at the left side but
the right looked as I described it. I have never seen a plane painted this
way, even Military Airlift Command adds the US emblem and or black numerals
in places.

Hedley
--
hedley@8x8.com                     | 8x8, Inc.