Re: T-tail

Date:         17 Sep 97 02:49:19
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn) writes:

> In article <airliners.1997.2124@ohare.Chicago.COM>, michael piersdorff <piersdorff.michael@ic.gc.ca> wrote:

> This reminds me of an interesting model I saw when I worked for an airline:
>
> Back when the B757 was being developed (as a replacement for the B727),
> one of the early configurations had the engines on the wing, but retained
> the T-tail.

As I recall, the original 757 program was a 727 re-engined with 2 big
engines on a new wing, with new avionics and such. As the project
progressed, it diverged from the 727 airframe. Boeing designed a new
tail that reduced weight, drag, and overall length of the plane, and a
new nose that reduced drag and cockpit noise while increasing space
and commonizing with the 767 cockpit. I think each of these
modifications also added a couple rows of seats.

American once proposed re-engining existing 727's with newer engines
on the old pylons, with the center hole plugged. This would, of
course, cost a whole lot less than buying a bunch of shiny new
airplanes. Boeing managed to convince them that it wouldn't be worth
the trouble, as they wouldn't have the new wing or new flight
management systems. Not only would this make them less economical than
a 757, but would probably still require a flight crew of 3.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin