Re: 747 hump

Date:         17 Sep 97 02:49:14
From:         Steve Lacker <look@the.sig>

Marc Schaeffer wrote:
> Thomas Lindberg wrote:
> > i have been told (by Boeing during a visit??) that the hump actually
> > contributes to the lift and that the longer hump (compared to the old
> > original) is still better.
>
> How can a fuselage contribute to the lift ????

The same way a wing does! higher air velocity on the upper surface
results in a lower pressure on the top surface than on the lower one.
Thats exactly how "lifting body" aircraft (thus far mainly experimental)
operate.

Now, I don't know whether or not the 747 hump truly produces lift... but
a lifting fuselage is possible.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029