Re: T-tail

Date:         16 Sep 97 02:37:12
From:         "jmorris" <ifly@indigo.ie>

Steven.Nicolaou@zippo.com wrote in article
<airliners.1997.2060@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> I read somewhere that T-tails have poorer handling at low speeds. Why is
> this? Also, what other disadvantages do T-Tails have compared to non-T-tail
> aircraft and what advantages (for that matter) do they have in order to
> be preferred to non-T-tails?

Not exactly true. There`s no real difference in handling at low
speedsdirectly attributable to the configuration, not in say a B727. A
T-tail has less authority in a propeller driven airplane at low speeds,
high power settings than an equivelent airplane with a "conventional" tail.

Some T-tailed airliners, the BAC 1-11 for example, have a tendency to lose
pitch authority at high Angles of Attack, combined with an equally alarming
tendency to lose great gobs of power from the engines in the same
situation. The prototype 1-11 was lost in stall tests.
The main advantage is reduced drag. Every surface to surface joint on an
airframe causes drag. Wing to fuselage, for example. Picture a T-tail, then
picure a conventional installation. Fewer joints, less drag. Also, when
fuselage mounted engines were in vogue, it provided a way of getting the
tail out of the way of the engines. The big disadvantage to a desgner is
structural. The Fin has to take it`s own load, plus the Stab/elevator
loads.

J morris