Re: T-tail

Date:         16 Sep 97 02:37:12
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1997.2124@ohare.Chicago.COM>, michael piersdorff <piersdorff.michael@ic.gc.ca> wrote:
<snip>
>Given the problemms, why ever use t-tails?  It does tend to solve the
>problem of jet exhaust beating on the tail surfaces, which can be a
>killer on structures.  And in most normal flight conditions, the high
>mounted tail is flying in cleaner (less disturbed) air, increasing its
>effectiveness.  More effectiveness results in less surface needed equals
>lower weight and drag.

This reminds me of an interesting model I saw when I worked for an airline:

Back when the B757 was being developed (as a replacement for the B727),
one of the early configurations had the engines on the wing, but retained
the T-tail.

Boeing went so far as to produce promotional models of this aircraft -
one was kept by the manager of flight performance at the airline (he had
100+ of these models in his office).

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.