Re: 767 Tail-Bang on lift-off

Date:         15 Jan 97 04:23:56
From:         gfmoff1@airmail.net (Gary Moffitt)

> Last Sunday we took AA136 (supposedly) LAX-LHR; the 'plane was a 767-300.
> When the pilot rotated the tail of the plane hit the runway;

> 1 Is such an event a common occurence? Who is likely to be to blame - I
> can only thnk of pilot error or shifting cargo.

No, this is not really common, but it does happen from time to time. The
airplane has a striker on the bottom of the fuselage at the tail just for
these instances. And yes the pilot probably over rotated. I happen to work
AA tech service and am familiar with this particular incident.  As it
turned out the aircraft sustained no structural damage, the only damage
was to the striker.

> 2 If it was pilot error, what will happen?

Nothing, despite the incovience to our passengers, the cost to the airline
(substantial), and the damage to the aircraft (minor) this was basically
a minor incident.

> 3 Why do US airports not have transit lounges?

I have no Comment on this one.

--
Gary S. Moffitt