Re: Why are all airliners white?

Date:         16 Sep 97 02:35:27
From:         "Stefano P. Pagiola" <Spagiola@worldbank.org>

Marc Schaeffer writes:
>Bill Chivers wrote:
>> Recent research suggests that darker paint schemes are easier to see.
>> Since the human eye spots things by shape and contrast, trying to
>> contrast with a (usually) bright background (the sky) by having a bright
>> paint scheme is pretty much a waste of time.
>> Black, on the other hand, usually cause a good contrast with the
>> background.
>> A result of this is the the RAF has now adopted black paint scemes for
>> its training aircraft (UK posters may have noticed black Hawks and
>> Tucanos over the last couple of years).
>
>Sorry, but the RAF surely doesn't want it's a/c to be seen.

This is getting a little off the topic of airliners, but Bill Chivers
is right, the RAF is painting its Hawks black for the specific
purpose of making them more visible.  Before this, they had
been red and white.  And while the RAF clearly doesn't want its
COMBAT aircraft to be visible, it DOES want its TRAINING
aircraft to be visible.

But there's a difference between visible in the sky (dark is
good) and visible on the ground at night (dark is probably
bad, as United's scheme demonstrates -- and hopefully
returning on-topic to airliners :-)

Stefano
--
All opinions are my own.
Check out my web site (under construction) at