Re: Older Aircraft

Date:         16 Sep 97 02:35:27
From:         transam@idirect.com (Ed Treijs)

In article <airliners.1997.2148@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM says...
>birds as they can.  If you look in the right corners of the world,
>you'll still find 707s soldiering along, and even older props.
>an American carrier -- Airborne Express.  No DC-8s are still flying
>passengers (other than charters) within the US, but plenty of them
>are still flying freight.

Just wondering: is the inference (from above) that the 707 is mainly
still in service for passengers, and the DC-8 mainly freight, valid or
not?

Also, something that puzzles me.  What makes the economics of air freight
dictate older passenger jets?  Presumably some of the reasons passenger
airlines are no longer flying DC-8s and 707s is that the turbojets are
noisy and inefficient compared to turbofans.

After all, we don't see over-the-road freight hauled in ex-Greyhound
buses. :-)

I can see that the air freight companies pick up older airliners cheap.
However that means that the airlines aren't making much money from selling
them, either.  Airlines would rather take a bit of cash than the old
airliner; air freight companies would rather take the old airliner than
a bit of cash.

Ed (is Air North's service in the Yukon with DC-3s scheduled?) Treijs