Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         16 Sep 97 02:35:25
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> Never heard of 150 minutes.  After 120 came 138, which closed a small
>> "no go" area in the North Atlantic.  See details of this at
>> http://www.chicago.com/airliners/gc-faq.html#etops-138.
>
>I'm basing the 90-120-150-180 minute ETOPS limits on information I got
>from ICAO in Montreal while researching a video I produced on ETOPS a few
>years ago.

I did a bit more digging and found that 138 appears to have been
created by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), initially granted
to Air Europe and Monarch.  The great circle paths for route like
LHR-IAD and FRA-JFK pass just north of it, and CDG-JFK passes thru
it, so I'm a bit surprised it wasn't done under ICAO auspices with
other European carriers (and US carriers flying to Europe) wanting
it.

ICAO may have proposed rules for 150 minute ETOPS, but it appears to
be pretty useless and probably was never implemented.  After closing
the small North Atlantic hole with 138 minute ETOPS, the next
interesting route is between Hawaii and the 48 states, which requires
180 minute ETOPS.  (Other routes require 180 minute ETOPS, but Hawaii
was the one which made the most compelling business case due to the
high volumes.)  It appears that American was the first such operator,
with 180 minute ETOPS authority in 1989 for their 767-300(ER)s, for
Dallas-Hawaii routes.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com