Re: 2nd Officer on a 767

Date:         16 Sep 97 02:35:24
From:         "Steven G. Thomson" <sthomson@i1.net>
Followups:    1 2 3

Andrew Muir <amuir@twsu.campus.mci.net> wrote in article <airliners.1997.2067@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> In article <airliners.1997.1868@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>    David Summergreene <dsummerg@hutch.com.au> wrote:
> >I work for QANTAS as a second officer on the 767 . . .<snip>
>
> Is a second officer in Australia the same as in the US, a flight engineer?
> If so, what do you do on a 767?  It is designed with a two man cockpit.

It would seem that a second officer would be useful for passing the snacks
from the flight attendant, and keeping up the flight deck housekeeping
chores on a 767, for other than very long haul relief duty.

I seem to recall that Air France had flight officers on their first 737's,
because it was a union requirement. Now, that would be a tight squeeze.
BTW, has anybody ever really gotten into the jumpseat behind the captain on
the 737?

--
Steven