Re: Airliner Windows

Date:         11 Sep 97 03:35:33
From:         Steve Lacker <look@the.sig>

Syiad T. Al-Duri wrote:
> AFAIK, the main problem with the COMET where the high engine vibrations. It
> was the first passenger aircraft with jet engines and they were pretty rough
> at those times. The engines were mounted in the root of the wing, where the
> bending torque has the highest value.

I disagree. I think its very safe to say that the "roughest" turbine
engine to ever see production was an order of magnitude smoother than
the smoothest piston engine. Ya canna change the laws of physics, and
reciprocating engines have a whole host of vibrational components that
simply don't exist in a machine whose sole movement is rotational.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029