Re: Power for Take-Off

Date:         11 Sep 97 03:35:31
From:         khowie8@gte.net (Keith Howie)

On 06 Sep 97 02:55:09 , Jack.Sanders@gsfc.nasa.gov (Jack Sanders)
wrote:

>On a recent trip, as we began our take-off run, the fuel pump in the
>left engine on a B757 malfunctioned.  We were moving slowly, so
>stopping was a simple matter.  Thankfully, the worst problem was a 6
>hour delay for the next flight.  One of the flight attendants on the
>second flight recognized me from the aborted flight.  I asked about
>the engine problem, and she directed me to the pilot from the first
>flight.  I expressed concern about losing power in one engine at a
>more critical point (liftoff), but he assured me that a fully loaded
>B757 would still have enough power to leave the ground.  Was he just
>trying to soothe my fears, since the event already passed, or is the
>plane actually that powerful?

Boeing once took a 757 to Lhasa, Tibet, to demonstrate just this
capability. Lhasa is one of the highest airports in the world (maybe
the highest. Does anybody know? La Paz?) and it is surrounded by
mountains. The 757 was accelerated to V1, one engine was killed, and
the takeoff was continued. The airplane circled and landed without
incident.

Boeing made a promotional tape of this event and anyone who has a
chance should see it. Video was filmed from inside the cockpit and you
can see the mountains all around. The ground proximity alarm (terrain!
terrain!,,,) could be heard almost continuously. Scary.

Keith