Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         10 Sep 97 19:38:46
From:         Praxis - Bjørn Erling Fløtten <praxis@online.no>

k_ish wrote:
> Why is there a time element to ETOPS, e.g. 180 minutes?  I have read a
> number of very technical articles on ETOPS, and understand the myriad
> factors determining ETOPS route of flight- but none of these articles
> address my question.
>
> It seems to me as long as you have enough range at the reduced ETOPS
> TAS, there should be no time limit.

I would guess that you want to reduce the chance of the other engine
failing also. An engine failure is an emergency situation which demands
that you land as soon as possible, you do not cruise for hours towards
your original destination, hoping that the other engine won't quit also.
 And 180 minutes is sufficient for almost every route, to reach a
suitable alternate.

It is more a matter of deciding what needs you have, and then designing
and proving your equipment and operational procedures to maintain the
required level of safety.

By the way, do you know what ETOPS stands for? Engine turns or passengers

swim. :-)  Have a good day!

Bjørn