Re: 2nd Officer on a 767

Date:         10 Sep 97 19:38:45
From:         mrado@pnc.com.au (Mark Radovich)

amuir@twsu.campus.mci.net (Andrew Muir) wrote:

>In article <airliners.1997.1868@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>   David Summergreene <dsummerg@hutch.com.au> wrote:
>>I work for QANTAS as a second officer on the 767 . . .<snip>

>Is a second officer in Australia the same as in the US, a flight engineer?
>If so, what do you do on a 767?  It is designed with a two man cockpit.

Second Officers (S/O) in QF are pilots that provide in-flight relief
on long secotors/tours of duty that are too long for the standard two
man flight time limitations.  They are not allowed to be in the front
window seat for take-off or landing.

S/O's provide beer on the crew bus at the end of the sector.

The average time spent as an S/O before First Officer training is
around 2 years. So two years worth of beer investment pays off when
you have another thirty years as an F/O or Captain.

The fleets that QF have S/O's on are the B747-400 (sometimes two per
sector eg LAX-SYD, SIN-LHR or MEL-JNB), B747 classic and the B767.
S/O's on the classic are also trained to provide in flight relief for
the Flight Engineer, but only in cruise.

MR

To reply by email, please delete the "m" in the return address
or it will bounce.