Re: 747 hump

Date:         10 Sep 97 19:38:45
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Followups:    1 2 3

Marc Schaeffer wrote:

> I wonder to what extend the hump of the 747 contributes to the total
> fuel consumption at cruise speed and cruise altitude. Can the
> aerodynamical disadvantages of the 747-hump be evaluated by some > formula ?

	Actually, the hump slightly improves the drag of the 747.  If the hump
wasn't there, the cross-sectional area distribution would have a chunk
missing and the wave drag would be higher.  I have data showing that the
extended hump on the 747-300 and -400 improves the area distribution
slightly, further reducing wave drag.